Application Due Date:
Reporting to the Manager, Registration, as Clerical Associate, Switchboard, you will join CMH as we embrace a new era of care, expanded services and innovation. Construction is underway of a modern 5-storey tower and total renovation of all existing inpatient care and clinical support areas. Completion of our brand new hospital is set for 2019 and will include:
- Patient care areas that are doubling in size, including larger surgical suites to accommodate advanced minimally invasive surgical equipment and an Emergency Department with dedicated treatment areas for mental health and different surgical subspecialties.
- A patient-centered building design that promotes healing and intuitive way finding, while maximizing natural lighting and sight lines to the natural beauty of the Grand River
- An increase in beds from 143 to 197 to accommodate expanded services like Surgery, Mental Health and Intensive Care. About 80% of inpatient rooms will be single occupancy to meet the latest infection control and building code standards for hospitals
The Switchboard Clerical Associate will contribute to the call center team by managing all calls that must be dispatched through a busy hospital switchboard, as well as being the hub for emergency calls.
This department operates up to 16 hours per day, seven days per week. The successful candidate will be responsible for clerical functions necessary for the smooth operation of the Switchboard department primarily for internal and external callers which include; staff, physicians, volunteers, patients, and visitors. This is a very fast paced high volume output department that requires independent thinking, good teamwork qualities and frontline personnel who exude professionalism and display good public relations.
- Operate a multi-purpose switchboard console including answering, screening and connecting telephone calls to patients and departments on a Hospital-wide basis
- Respond to all alarms and emergency codes using the code panel
- Conduct response testing for Emergency codes, pagers and switchboard console , in accordance with established requirements, guidelines and processes
- Document and execute appropriate procedures for emergency systems in a methodical and timely manner
- Accurate record taking and logging of calls in dispatching software system; update guidelines and training manuals, and enter bed count in Criticall database
- Provide assistance with connecting long distance telephone calls
- Use paging application to activate long range pagers
- Respond to internal and external inquiries including providing appropriate Hospital and patient information (i.e. Hospital location, patient room/extension number), in accordance with Hospital policy and in a manner consistent with patient confidentiality
- Provide customer service and direct visitors to the appropriate personnel or department
- Locate on call managers, physicians and other medical personnel or staff
- Provide assistance in locating patients, making inquiries regarding patient transfers
- Assist people with the Pay Parking Machine
The successful incumbent must be available 7 days per week for a variety of shifts, including days, evenings, nights, weekends, including statutory holidays. CMH schedules for the efficient operation of the Hospital. The physical demands of the role may include but are not limited to prolonged sitting, standing, walking, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling. This position contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
- Successful completion of secondary school is required
- Medical Office Administration Program certificate required
- Minimum 2 years of current switchboard and call centre experience required
- Current experience with dispatching software, code panel, and excellent keyboarding, Microsoft Office and data entry skills required
- Current experience in a health care setting preferred
- Medical Terminology Certificate an asset
- Current experience with Meditech System (Health Information System) is preferred
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) and a focus to be a committed team member is essential
- Demonstrated organizational and record keeping skills with a focus on accuracy
- Proven decision-making ability, good judgment, and the ability to coordinate, prioritize and develop effective workflow methods
- Professional attitude and pleasant manner when dealing with internal and external calls while demonstrating excellent customer service
- Regular attendance is required