Application Due Date:
Reporting to the Manager, Inpatient Surgery as Registered Practical Nurse, you will join CMH as we embrace a new era of care, expanded services and innovation. Construction is underway of a modern 5-storey tower and total renovation of all existing inpatient care and clinical support areas. Completion of our brand new hospital is set for 2019 and will include:
- Patient care areas that are doubling in size, including larger surgical suites to accommodate advanced minimally invasive surgical equipment and an Emergency Department with dedicated treatment areas for mental health and different surgical subspecialties.
- A patient-centered building design that promotes healing and intuitive wayfinding, while maximizing natural lighting and sight lines to the natural beauty of the Grand River
- An increase in beds from 143 to 197 to accommodate expanded services like Surgery, Mental Health and Intensive Care. About 80% of inpatient rooms will be single occupancy to meet the latest infection control and building code standards for hospitals
As a key member of the Inpatient Surgery team, the Registered Practical Nurse assumes a participative role on the health care team and will provide nursing services, within their defined scope of practice, to patients based on patient assessment and care planning procedures. This is a temporary part-time position to work 8 and 12 hour shifts including days, evenings, nights, weekends and statutory holidays. The physical demands of the role may include but are not limited to prolonged sitting, standing, walking, bending, lifting, pushing and pulling. This position contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
Posted hours do not constitute a guarantee that shifts will not be subject to change.
- Candidates must be registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
- RPN Diploma or equivalent required
- Current BCLS certificate required
- Demonstrates application of nursing knowledge through patient assessment and recognizing limits of practice and consulting appropriately
- 2 years current medical/surgical experience in an active care setting required
- Medication administration course essential
- CMH certified to initiate IV and administer IV medications required
- Epidural certification and experience in monitoring a patient post epi-morph is preferred
- Demonstrated evidence of commitment to ongoing education essential
- Demonstrate ability to integrate discharge planning and appropriate use of community resources into the client’s care plan
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to incorporate knowledge of health promotion into the client’s care plan
- Computer literacy and knowledge of Meditech system modules would be a definite asset
- Regular attendance is required