How do I become a volunteer at CMH?
- Complete the application form, reference forms and police reference check.
- Contact Volunteer Services to schedule an interview time
- Successful applicants are required to complete a health review including a two-step TB test.
- Attend a 2.5-hour orientation session
What is the time commitment?
- Typically, a 6-month commitment to the program is required, some programs require at least 1 year's commitment
- Absences must be reported to your department and the Coordinator of Volunteer Services at least 24 hours prior to your shift
Do I need to have certain qualifications if I want to be a volunteer at CMH?
Volunteers are required to be able to speak fluent English.
What will I be doing, and will I be having contact with patients?
Volunteer positions can be categorized into three areas:
- Patient Care Units
- Medical Day Clinic
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Hospital Elder Life Program
- Hospial Ambassador
- And many others
- Volunteer Association Office Support
- Hopsital Administrative Support
- Information Desk
- Environmental Services
- Foundation Office
- Gift Shop
- Supporting Fundraising Activities
- The Recovery Room Shop
How are placement decisions made?
Placement decisions are made based on hopsital needs and the candidate's skills and interests.
Can I change my placement area?
Volunteers are encouraged to make a minimum commitment of 6 months to their current placement. However, should other opportunities exist, a change can be arranged or you can volunteer in more than one area if you wish and if there is availability.
Can I take holidays?
Taking time for yourself as a volunteer is very important to us at CMH, and holidays are permitted. Always ensure that you make Volunteer Services aware at least a week prior to taking time off.