How do I become a volunteer at CMH?
Please note, due to COVID19 restrictions, volunteers are not currently active within the hospital. However, CMH is always accepting volunteer applications. We hope to resume normal operations as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Complete the application form, reference forms and police reference check.
- Contact Volunteer Services to schedule an interview time
- Successful applicants are required to complete a health review including a two-step TB test.
- Attend a 2.5-hour orientation session
What is the time commitment?
- Typically, a 6-month commitment to the program is required, some programs require at least 1 year's commitment
- Absences must be reported to your department and the Coordinator of Volunteer Services at least 24 hours prior to your shift
Do I need to have certain qualifications if I want to be a volunteer at CMH?
Volunteers are required to be able to speak fluent English.
What will I be doing, and will I be having contact with patients?
Volunteer positions can be categorized into three areas:
- Patient Care Units
- Medical Day Clinic
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Hospital Elder Life Program
- Hospial Ambassador
- And many others
- Volunteer Association Office Support
- Hopsital Administrative Support
- Information Desk
- Environmental Services
- Foundation Office
- Gift Shop
- Supporting Fundraising Activities
- The Recovery Room Shop
How are placement decisions made?
Placement decisions are made based on hopsital needs and the candidate's skills and interests.
Can I change my placement area?
Volunteers are encouraged to make a minimum commitment of 6 months to their current placement. However, should other opportunities exist, a change can be arranged or you can volunteer in more than one area if you wish and if there is availability.
Can I take holidays?
Taking time for yourself as a volunteer is very important to us at CMH, and holidays are permitted. Always ensure that you make Volunteer Services aware at least a week prior to taking time off.