Jamie Hastings, Coordinator, Volunteer Services
Phone: 519-621-2333 Ext. 2401
Volunteer Orientations for new volunteers are held the 2nd Thursday of each month at the hospital from 4:00pm to 6:30pm.
Volunteer Association Board Meetings
The Cambridge Memorial Hospital Volunteer Association has Board of Directors Meeting the 4th Wednesday of each month beginning at 9am in the Hospital Board Room.
How do I become a volunteer at CMH?
- Visit Volunteer Resources at the hospital, and pick up an application package, or print an online Volunteer Application Package under the "Apply Here tab.
- Complete the application form, reference forms and police reference check, and seal it in an envelope and return it to the Volunteer Resources office.
- Volunteer Resources will then call you to schedule an interview time
- Successful applicants are required to complete a health review including a two-step TB test done.
- Attend a 2.5-hour orientation session
What is the time commitment?
- Typically, a 6-month commitment to the program is required (one day a week for two, three or four hour shifts)
- Absences must be reported to your department and the Manager of Volunteer Resources at least 24 hours prior to your shift
- Must be between the age of 16-18.
- Students must be able to make minimum 60-hour commitment (at least 1 day a week for a minimum 2-4 hour shift)
Do I need to have certain qualifications if I want to be a volunteer at CMH?
Volunteers are required to be able to speak fluent English.
What will I be doing, and will I be having contact with patients?
Volunteer positions are focused in 3 main areas:
- Patient Care Units
- Day Surgery
- Medical Day Clinic
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Hospital Elder Life Program
- Hospial Ambassador
- And many others
- Volunteer Association Office
- Administrative support
- Central Registration/Surgical Day Care
- Employee Health Services
- Information Desk
- Environmental Services
- Foundation Office
- Gift Shop
- Supporting Fundraising Activities
- HELPP Lottery
- The Recovery Room Shop
How are placement decisions made?
All placement decisions are made at the interview. Placements are typically offered in areas that have volunteer openings.
Can I change my placement area?
Volunteers are encouraged to make a minimum commitment of 6 months to their current placement. However, should other opportunities exist, a change can be arranged or you can volunteer in more than one area if you wish and if there is availability.
Can I take holidays?
Taking time for yourself as a volunteer is very important to us at CMH, and holidays are permitted. Always ensure that you make Volunteer Resources aware at least a week prior to taking time off.