In consultation with the Region of Waterloo Public Health, a COVID-19 outbreak has been declared in the Inpatient Mental Health Unit (Wing A, level 3). A hospital outbreak is declared when two or more patients and/or staff test positive for a respiratory illness that was acquired in hospital within a timeframe that is consistent with the epidemiology of the disease, and when there is a link between the cases.
Two (2) individuals have acquired a COVID-19 as a result of healthcare acquired infection.
Additional precautions have also been added to ensure increased safety:
- Enhanced surveillance by increased swabbing and testing non-infected patients and staff.
- Enhanced cleaning, especially to high touch areas.
- Visits to inpatients have been paused for the entire hospital as of Saturday January 8. Virtual visits and phone connections for patients and families can be arranged with family in the unit.
The outbreak in the Inpatient Mental Health Unit may be declared over after ten consecutive days (February 8) with no new infections.
The hospital also has active outbreak in three other units:
- The Rehabilitation Unit COVID-19 outbreak was declared Jan. 4. Sixteen (16) patients and three (3) staff have been infected during the outbreak. The last positive date was detected on January 22, which targets the earliest possible end date of February 1,. A final swab is scheduled for today (Jan. 31), however with delays in getting laboratory results, the outbreak may be declared over as late as Feb. 3.
- The Inpatient Surgery Unit COVID-19 outbreak was declared Jan. 7. Nine (9) patients and ten (10) staff have been infected. The last positive date was detected on January 24, which targets the outbreak’s end date to February 3, pending swabbing results.<
- The Medicine B Unit COVID-19 outbreak was declared on Jan. 19. At this time, eight (8) patients and no (0) staff have been infected. The last case detected was on January 29, which targets the earliest possible end date to February 8, if no cases are found.
Stephan Beckhoff, MA (he, him)
Manager, Public Affairs & Communications
T. 519.621.2333 x2427