About This Program
Surgical Day Care is the area in the hospital where all patients who require surgery will register and be prepared for surgery. Depending on the procedure, some patients will require an overnight stay (inpatients) and some patients will be able to return home the same day (outpatients).
Our Endoscopy clinics offer examination of the digestive tract and lungs. Endoscopy is the term used for a test in which a tube with a viewing camera is inserted to view organs without making a cut. The intestines are viewed during a colonoscopy by inserting the viewing instrument through the rectum. The lungs are examined by inserting a bronchoscope through the mouth; using another instrument through the mouth we can examine your stomach. The physician is able to view the organs and take samples of tissue if necessary which means you may be able to avoid further surgery. These tests help diagnose various diseases of the stomach, bowels and lungs.
Our services also include Minor Procedures where we do minor surgery, joint injections and examinations
The Urology clinic offer examination of the bladder using a scope (cystoscopy)
What I Need to Know
This is vital to ensuring your surgery can proceed as planned.
Please bring any personal assistive devices that you require for your appointment. For example, any communication or mobility device you many need like a walker, hearing aid, etc.
Before coming to the Hospital on Surgery Day
- Bathe the morning of surgery and remove all make-up, nail polish and jewellery (including body piercings). Wear casual, loose fitting clothing and flat shoes.
- Leave all personal items, large sums of money, credit cards and valuables such as earrings and watches at home. We are unable to monitor all the traffic in patient areas and therefore cannot be responsible for lost or stolen valuables.
Bring With You to the Hospital
- Your Health Card
- List of all medications, over-the-counter medications and herbal remedies with doses and times
- A bag to hold your clothing
- A denture cup for dentures
- Sanitary products for gynecological surgery
- If you are staying in the hospital overnight bring a housecoat, slippers, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, tissues, shaving supplies and reading material
- Secondary insurance information
Going Home after Surgery
You must arrange for a responsible adult to pick you up in Surgical Day Care, accompany you home and stay with you overnight or at least be available to call if necessary. Your surgery may be cancelled if these arrangements have not been made. Please leave a phone number for staff to call when you are ready to go home.