Breastfeeding Supported at CMH
Breastfeeding provides many health advantages for infants and mothers. Research shows many short-term and long-term benefits including increased breastfeeding success, improved physiological, emotional and cognitive capacities.
Our staff are here to support you with breastfeeding if you choose to do so.
We promote early skin-to-skin care in uncomplicated births as well.
CMH is dedicated to working towards Baby Friendly Initative (BFI) designation. The World Health Organization, UNICEF and Breastfeeding Committee of Canada set standards by providing 10 steps for staff to follow by promoting and supporting breastfeeding. For families and infants, it means consistent care, information, advice and support from staff. Staff support all families and infants and their right to make a fully informed decision about how to feed and care for their babies.
Breastfeeding Buddies Program
- prenatal workshop available: workshop dates 2018 call to book Tues evening class 519-740-8353
- postnatal support available: 519-772-1016 to connect with a Buddy
What I Need to Know
What to Bring to the Hospital
If you are a mom-to-be, please bring:
- Ontario Health Card and Insurance information
- medications you take regularly in labeled pharmacy containers
- feminine pads (2 packs)
- clothing: underwear (3 – 6), slippers, pajamas, housecoat, socks, nursing bra & pads, extra change of loose-fitting clothes
- personal care items: toothbrush & paste, mouthwash, soap, brush, shampoo, lotion, lip balm, etc.
- things that make your labour more comfortable (pillow, music, hot pack)
- pillows, breastfeeding pillow (optional)
- popsicles (optional)
Please bring for your newborn or your baby who is in hospital:
- 1 – 2 packs newborn or age appropriate diapers
- wipes, barrier cream
- clothing for trip home
- undershirts, socks & hats
- receiving blankets
- safety-approved car seat
If you are the support person of a woman or child please bring:
- pillow, sleeping bag
- change of clothes
- food & drinks labeled with name
Do not bring to the hospital
- latex balloons or lilies due to allergies
1. Childbirth and Parenting Classes: see attached document for upcoming classes Conestoga College is offering. Prenatal Flyer
2. Mom & Baby app: browse your app store to get: M + B 2B track your fertility, make a budget, record prenatal visits, create birth plan and labour playlist, track baby's feeds, grown and so much more. Download FREE (Niagara Health)
3. Prenatal Class Directory: click here
4. OMama: your step to step guide to pregnancy: click here
1. A Parent's Guide to Soothers: click here