About This Program
The Women and Children's Health Program cares for families and children in a family-friendly environment. The emphasis is on health promotion and illness prevention.
Breastfeeding Supported at CMH
- Breastfeeding provides many health advantages for infants and mothers. Research shows many short-term and long-term benefits including increased breastfeeding success, improved physiological, emotional and cognitive capacities.
- Our staff are here to support you with breastfeeding if you choose to do so.
- We promote early skin-to-skin care in uncomplicated births as well.
CMH is dedicated to working towards Baby Friendly Initiative (BFI) designation. The World Health Organization, UNICEF and Breastfeeding Committee of Canada set standards by providing 10 steps for staff to follow by promoting, protecting and supporting breastfeeding. For families and infants, it means consistent care, information, advice and support from staff. Staff support all families and infants and their right to make a fully informed decision about how to feed and care for their babies.
What I Need to Know
What to bring to the hospital
If you are a mom-to-be, please bring:
- Ontario Health Card and Insurance information
- medications you take regularly in labeled pharmacy containers
- feminine pads (2 packs)
- clothing: underwear (3 – 6), slippers, pyjamas, housecoat, socks, nursing bra & pads, extra change of loose-fitting clothes
- personal care items: toothbrush & paste, mouthwash, soap, brush, shampoo, lotion, lip balm, etc.
- things that make your labour more comfortable (pillow, music, hot pack)
- pillows, breastfeeding pillow (optional)
- popsicles (optional)
Please bring for your newborn or your baby who is in hospital:
- 1 – 2 packs newborn or age appropriate diapers
- wipes, barrier cream
- clothing for trip home
- undershirts, socks & hats
- receiving blankets
- safety-approved car seat
If you are the support person of a woman or child please bring:
- pillow, sleeping bag
- change of clothes
- food & drinks labeled with name
Do not bring to the hospital
- latex balloons or
- lilies due to allergies