Model of Care Changing
In August 2015, we will implement an Interprofessional Model of Care in our Medicine, Rehabilitation and Inpatient Surgery units. It is an improvement initiative designed to enhance the patient experience. Below are some questions you may have about this change.
What is the Interprofessional Model of Care?
‘Model of care’ is a term used to describe how we organize staff to care for our patients. In August, a Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) and a Personal Support Worker (PSW) will work together as a team to provide care to a group of patients. The PSW is our newest care provider and will work alongside our nurses. The post-secondary education that PSWs have, enable them to support patients’ activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing and eating. This allows nurses to focus on aspects of care that require their expert knowledge and skills.
Why are you changing the model of care?
We want to improve the overall experience for patients while they are in our hospital. The Interprofessional Model of Care was chosen because it allows all members of the team to work to their full capabilities. This mix of providers was determined based on the needs of patients in our various inpatient units.
How will this affect me as a patient?
You can feel good and secure with these changes. The number of care hours per patient has been increased to better meet your care needs and over the year, you will see more changes as the care you receive evolves:
- Team introductions: You will know who will be caring for you at the start of each shift
- Coordinated care: A PSW may help you with your bathing and eating, while a nurse will provide you with your medicine or perform treatments
- Regular check-ins: Members of your team will check in with you throughout their shift to ask about your care needs
- Inclusive care: Reports will take place at your bedside so you can be involved
- Follow-up: You will receive a phone call from a nurse 1 or 2 days after you leave the hospital
Throughout the implementation process, we will monitor your care and satisfaction to ensure that your needs are at the forefront.