Alexandra Allen, Coordinator, Volunteer Services
Phone: 519-621-2333 Ext. 2401
Please note, due to COVID19 restrictions, volunteers are not currently active within the hospital. However, CMH is always accepting volunteer applications. We hope to resume normal operations as soon as it is safe to do so.
The first step to joining our team is to complete the Volunteer Application Package. The Application Package can be downloaded by clicking on the "Volunteer Application" button. During normal operations, it may also be picked up at the Information Desk within the Main Entrance of the Hospital (Wing A, Level 1). In current provincial lockdowns, applicants may only access the Volunteer Package virtually or by contacting the Coordinator of Volunteer Services directly. Volunteer Application
Prospective volunteers must complete the application package, including 2 references which must be provided, signed and completed. Family members may not be a reference and your reference must have known you for greater than six (6) months.
Once completed, please contact Volunteer Services at 519-621-2333 ext 2401 to set up a volunteer interview. If chosen to advance in the application process, you will be provided with a link to complete a police record check and medical clearane instructions. NOTE: With COVID19 restricions, interviews are currently on hold.
- All applicants are screened by Volunteer Services. As part of the screening process, volunteers will have a health review which includes a two step T.B. skin test.
- Volunteer Services will interview, select, and place volunteers
- Volunteers are placed according to the needs of the Hospital, patients, and families as well as the volunteer's interests and skill level
- All volunteers must attend a general orientation session
- Sessions are offered on the second Thursday of every month from 4-6:30pm
- NOTE: With COVID19 restricions, orientations are currently on hold.
Area Specific Training
- Upon completion of health screening, all volunteers will be required to attend area specific training session prior to starting their placement
- NOTE: Due to COVID19 restricions, volunteer placements and trainings are on hold.
Criteria to Apply
- Minimum age to volunteer is 16 years old.
- Minimum commitment of 6 months.
All volunteers are required to complete a 2-step TB skin test and communicable disease assessment. This is a requirement under the Ontario Public Hospitals Act. It is for the protection of our patients as well as for yourself. Our Health, Safety and Wellness team will need to know your immune status for Chicken Pox, Tuberculosis and other common communicable diseases. Blood tests may be required. At the time of your interview, we will discuss your Health Screening. Prospective volunteers without an Ontario Health Card may incur costs to complete their health screening.
Volunteers working between the months of October to March are encouraged to receive an annual influenza vaccination, available at the hospital, free of charge.
Criminal Record Checks
As part of the screening process, a Police Records Check must be completed, after your meeting with Volunteer Services. Cambridge Memorial Hospital provides services to people who are considered a vulnerable population and for this reason, a Police Records Check (PRC) is necessary. All volunteers over the age of 18 must have a PRC completed before being placed. The PRC must be dated within 3 months of your volunteer interview. The cost of the Police Records Check is the responsibility of the applicant. All information will be handled with the strictest confidence for your respect and privacy. Instructions for completing a criminal reference check will be discussed at your placement interview.
Volunteers must wear a volunteer vest & name tag at all times when on duty. Volunteers must follow the dress code as outlined in the Volunteer Handbook. Appropriate clothing is neat, safe and respectful of the patients, staff and visitors. The hospital is a scent-free environment.
You must wait 6 months after being a inpatient or out-patient of the hospital before you apply to volunteer.*