- Greet hospital patients and visitors.
- Remind all visitors to wash their hands with the sanitizer upon entering and exiting the hospital
- Give directions and escort patients and visitors based on request from the Information Desk.
- When time permits Ambassadors will ensure that there are wheelchairs at the main entrances
Currently Recruiting Ambassadors
The Gift Shop is one of the Volunteer Association's revenue generating services. If you enjoy retail sales and public interaction, this is for you.
Currently Recruiting Gift Shop Volunteers
Diagnostic Imaging & CAT Scan
Volunteers in the Diagnostic Imaging department can be found in Ultrasound, Ontario Breast Screening Clinic, Fracture Clinic, X-ray and CAT Scan. Volunteers greet patients, make up bags and provide directions.
Currently Recruiting Diagnostic Imaging
Hospital Elder Life Program (HELP)
HELP volunteers help maintain the cognitive, physical and emotional well-being of older patients who are admitted to hospital from home or retirement home.
Volunteers create a friendly environment by providing support, encouragement, and companionship to our older patient. The volunteer will provide assistance from the four main protocols of HELP.
- Orientation – visiting and socialization to prevent mental confusion during hospitalization by reviewing the patient’s orientation board.
- Meal Assistance – assisting with set up of the meal and providing companionship to increase intake and hydration throughout the day.
- Early Mobilization – assistance with walking and/or range of motion exercises to prevent deconditioning.
- Therapeutic Activities – activities to keep patients cognitively stimulated during hospitalization to prevent a decline in cognition.
NOTE: HELP volunteers must complete 12 hours of in-class training followed by 12 hours of shadow training with a veteran volunteer or Elder Life Specialist.
The Information Desk volunteer is often the first person visitors come into contact with when walking through the main entrance of the hospital. They are there to give visitors directions and general information. To become an Information Desk volunteer you must have customer service, computer and telephone experience.
The Recovery Room Thrift Shop
The Recovery Room Shop is a seconds store operated by the CMH Volunteer Association, located in downtown Galt.
- Serve and assist customers.
- Straighten clothing racks
- Put out new merchandise on floor
- Tag and stamp clothing for sale
- Sort donation
Medical Day Clinic Volunteers
Volunteers within this Program are a part of the CMHVA with the support of the Canadian Cancer Society. These Volunteers help support patients as they receive treatment. Our knowledgeable volunteers can help provide directions, sit with patients while they wait or receive treatment; they also provide comfort and refreshments. Medical Day Care volunteers provide information about the Canadian Cancer Society and other services patients can access, both at the clinic and in the community.
CMH Foundation Office
- Greet donors and other visitors to the Foundation
- Open and sort the mail and donations
- Take donation over the phone and be able to process credit card transactions
- Assist with general office duties as required
- Make calls to donors to thank them for donation
Preform reminder calls for ultrasound outpatients, stock requisition forms, fold and put away clean patient gowns.
Emergency Waiting Room
The Emergency Department is a very interactive department. Volunteers can be found greeting patients, explaining triage, providing comfort measures such as a warm blanket or Kleenex, picking up medical records, making up specimen bags and charts, giving directions and more.
Note: Volunteer positions are not always available when you apply. We will do our best in placing you somewhere suitable if your first choice is not available.